Monday, November 28, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 36:1, 8-9, 19, 31

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 36:1, 8-9, 19, 31
"Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.
And these are the generations of Esau the father of the Edomites in mount Seir.
Thus dwelt Esau in mount Seir: Esau is Edom.
These are the sons of Esau, who is Edom, and these are their dukes.
And these are the kings that reigned in the land of Edom, before there reigned any king over the children of Israel.

I love genealogy, but honestly not other people's. My eyes just blurred trying to figure out Esau's family. It's not until someone's line crosses into mine that I take an interest. As I read this I kept thinking some how this will be important later on. Then again isn't every family, every person, important to the Lord? Will not the record we present recording the families of humankind to the Lord have chapters like this in it. If the Lord will love that record, I should be more tolerant of other's records of their families. For we really are one big family. The names in this chapter are my cousins after all.

I looked up the name Edom and why Esau was given it. It goes back to Genesis 25:30 "And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom."

Esau was born red and hairy, so the combination of his red hair and wanting red pottage, gave him this name it appears. Interesting that this nickname was carried on for generations. A whole tribe of people carried on this form of his name. 


Day 611


No comments:

Post a Comment