Friday, November 4, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 12:11-13

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 12:11-13
"And it came to pass, when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon:
Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.
Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee."

I sat here pondering on why it was ok for Abram to lie and say Sarai was his sister, instead of his wife? I went to the same story in the book of Abraham and the only difference I saw was that it clearly says the Lord told him to say this. I came back to the story in Genesis and could not wrap my head around this lie. Then as I read these verses again I could see this was a prophecy Abram was given. The Lord was truly trying to spare his life. They had to go into Egypt because of this famine. In so doing the beauty of Sarai would cost Abram his life. To say up front that she was his sister, I'm sure no one ever thought to ask if she was also his wife. I realized then that my husband could also refer to me as his sister. In the Church we call each other brother and sister. It would not be a lie to refer to me in such a way. What would be a lie is to deny that I was his wife. I'm sure that is why the Lord told Abram to have Sarai say she was his sister right up front. Then the other relationship would never to considered. This experience was also a test for Abram to see if he would be faithful in all things asked of him. For there were even greater tests to come.  


Day 587

No comments:

Post a Comment