Friday, November 11, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 19:10-11, 16

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 19:10-11, 16
"But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to the find the door.
And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the Lord being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city"

This whole chapter made me ill, seriously sick to my stomach, and I just wept. It was too much to read of the level of wickedness that called for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, and in turn seeing it in the faces of people today and in the future. All of it just made me sit pretty still, in stunned silence for a while. 

Then I started to hear music to a familiar hymn, but couldn't make out the words. I couldn't place it, but knew I knew it. Soon my mind was not drawn towards the wickedness and destruction anymore. I had a peace come over me but I still couldn't make out the words. I read the chapter again which started to make me feel ill, until I noticed the angels hands. They were leading Lot and his family to safety. Their hands were guiding and protecting them. I needed to focus on their hands. Like grasping firm to the iron rod, the word of God. Finally the words of the hymn playing in my mind became audible, it was "Be Thou Humble".

"Be thou humble in thy weakness, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee,
Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answers to thy prayers.
Be thou humble in thy pleading, and the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
Shall bless thee with a sweet and calm assurance that he cares.
Be thou humble in thy calling, and the Lord they God shall teach thee
To serve his children gladly with a pure and gentle love.
Be thou humble in thy longing, and the Lord thy God shall take thee,
Shall take thee home at last to ever dwell with him above."

What comfort this hymn brought to me. Regardless of what I see or experience around me, if I humbly seek the Lord I will always know he cares. He will guide me to safety and protect me come what may. I feel like I was being told don't look back towards wickedness like Lot's wife, move forward towards eternal hope and joy. 



Day 594

No comments:

Post a Comment