Saturday, November 19, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 27:13

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 27:13
"And his mother said unto him, Upon me be thy curse, my son: only obey my voice, and go fetch me them.

As I read this chapter I just didn't understand. How can Jacob obtain the blessing Isaac was to give to Esau by deception? It was stolen from him, no wonder Esau got so upset after finding out what happened. I just had to sit and ponder on this chapter today because I didn't understand. It was Rebekah's doing that all this intrigue took place. I had to sit and wonder about this family, even Sarah and how she treated Hagar and Ishmael too. The covenant fathers seemed to have wives that did things I wouldn't agree with. I had to work it out by pondering on these wives, because I knew the issue wasn't them, it had to be me.

Then I had to forgive them in order to understand them. That what they did actually wasn't wrong. Rebekah had been told by the Lord before Esau and Jacob's birth of who they were and which would have the blessing. She was put in a position like Nephi was being told to smote off Laban's head. Her actions blessed the nations. The birthright and blessing belonged to Jacob. Esau showed by his selling of his birthright for so little to Jacob, and his anger and threats towards his brother for taking his blessing, that he could not be the covenant father of the nation. As I began to see who Rebekah was and her great faith, I came to love her. I was ashamed to have thought badly of her. She had such faith and did all that she was called to do. She was tested just like Abraham was in being asked to sacrifice Isaac upon the altar.  

The other thing that came to me was how close Rebekah was to the Lord. She knew when God was speaking to her. She was not doing anything because she willed or wanted it. She sought only to do the will of the Lord. If any cursing was to come to Jacob for following her directions she was willing to have it fall on her head. For she feared God and his will more than any cursing that could come from a man. That shows to me how strongly her witness was of the Lord's will prior to the twins birth. She never deviated from it.


Day 602


No comments:

Post a Comment