Sunday, November 13, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 21:9-10, 12-13

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 21:9-10, 12-13
"And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed."

It seemed so harsh to me of Abraham to then just give Hagar some bread and water and make her leave with Ishmael. They then go off into the wilderness and almost die of thirst. Abraham was a wealthy man. Could he have not set her up with a home and made sure she arrived safely there? I know an angel spared them, but I still didn't get it. 

As I was researching this I found in Galatians 4:23-24
"But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar." 

I also read again where God promised Abraham that Ishmael would be a wild man and his hand against every nation. When Sarah saw 13 year old Ishmael mocking the infant Isaac could she not already know what was promised, and how his presence could effect raising her dear child. I thought "Do we not all have to put aside the things of the flesh for the things of the spirit?"

I then pondered on the various examples of hardships covenant people have had to pass through. Joseph of Egypt, who's brothers sold him to the Ishmaelites, for one. Another was Lehi and his family. I don't understand all things, but I do know that God has me pass through things and later I understand them. I can then use them as my own allegory to emphasis gospel principles. No experience is for not, for there is wise purpose in the Lord in all that we pass through. 


Day 596


No comments:

Post a Comment