Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 17:3-4

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 17:3-4
"And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

I felt like something was missing. In the footnotes I found the reference to the Joseph Smith translation of this chapter. 

JST, Genesis 17:3-4, 8
"And it came to pass, that Abram fell on his face, and called upon the name of the Lord.
And God talked with him, saying, My people have gone astray from my precepts, and have not kept mine ordinances, which I gave unto their fathers;
But as for thee, behold, I will make my covenant with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

There is more, but basically the part missing is people had already strayed from the covenants with God. God was re-establishing them again with Abraham. From the covenants Abraham made with God all the nations of the earth would be blessed. The promises made to the fathers, were made from the very beginning. It didn't just start with Abraham, just like it won't end with me. Covenants are so beautiful. It is sad they were removed from the bible. For God's people are a covenant making people.

Day 592

No comments:

Post a Comment