Saturday, December 22, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 45:5

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 45:5
"And seekest thou great things for thyself? seek them not:for, behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the Lord: but thy life will I give unto thee for a prey in all places  whither thou goest."

Not sure what this phrase means "thy life will I give unto thee for a prey". There were other references.

"For I will surely deliver thee, and thou shalt not fall by the sword, but thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me, saith the Lord.
(Jeremiah 39:18)

"He that abideth in this city shall die by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence: but he that goeth out, and falleth to the Chaldeans that besiege you, he shall live, and his life shall be unto him for a prey."
(Jeremiah 21:9)

Still wasn't seeing it. For I think of prey as something that is hunted. Then I found this Dictionary definition "archaic Plunder or (in biblical use) a prize."

Prey = prize. Now it makes sense that the chapter header says "Jeremiah promises Baruch that his life will be preserved."  His life is given him as a prize.



Day 1365

No comments:

Post a Comment