Monday, December 3, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 26:12, 16

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 26:12, 16
"Then spake Jeremiah unto all the princes and to all the people, saying, The Lord sent me to prophesy against his house and against this city all the words that ye have heard.
Then said the princes and all the people unto the priests and to the prophets; This man is not worthy to die: for he hath spoken to us in the name of the Lord our God."

Jeremiah is commanded of the Lord to speak to the people. Calling them to repentance or they would be destroyed. From this the priests and prophets seek to have him killed. Now the curious thing is they are priests and prophets. Yet, I know Jeremiah is the actual prophet of the Lord. So how do I or anyone else know which prophet is the true prophet of the Lord?

This scripture came to me.
"Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question - unto what were ye ordained?"
(Doctrine and Covenants 50:13)

The key is by who's authority was the prophet called. He must hold the priesthood keys and be ordained. Jeremiah was called of the Lord. So who are these other priests and prophets called by? I had read about these prophets recently. I went back and read Jeremiah 23 where the Lord warned about these very priest and prophets. There is a lot them and they are not His. It made me realize that a big message that Jeremiah is warning about, especially for my day, is false prophets and being deceived.

"Behold, verily I say unto you, there are hypocrites among you, who have deceived some, which has given the adversary power; but behold such shall be reclaimed
But the hypocrites shall be detected and shall be cut off, either in life or in death, even as I will; and wo unto them who are cut off from my church, for the same are overcome of the world."
(Doctrine and Covenants 50:7-8)

In this chapter the princes and people first followed the priest and prophets and wanted Jeremiah killed. Then they really listened to his warning and recalled what happened when other prophets of God had said similar things. Then they no longer sought to kill Jeremiah. These people are like those mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants, they had been deceived but would be redeemed if they no longer followed the hypocrites.

It is important to realize that even members of Christ's church can be deceived. Even though they look like they could be the very elect, it doesn't mean they are. I really have to ask myself, whenever someone wants to pretty up the doctrine and feels they have secret knowledge to pass along, "unto what were ye ordained?" Why would you know this and teach it, and not the prophet?

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
(Matthew 7:21-23)

This is why I am so bothered as I see once faithful members fall into crooked paths, unknowingly following occult practices like the "law of attraction". Truly they are giving the adversary power, and for gain. They have been deceived, but can be redeemed if they so choose it.



Day 1346


No comments:

Post a Comment