Friday, December 21, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 44:16-17

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 44:16-17
"As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee.
But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil."

Now something makes sense to me that I didn't understand. I would always feel rather anxious when I would hear people speak of a mother in heaven. Oh I understand the words to the hymn "O My Father" by Eliza R. Snow. "Truth is reason; truth eternal; Tells me I've a mother there." I do believe if I have a Heavenly Father that I must have a Heavenly Mother. But, I do not think of her. I just feel Heavenly Father has a very good reason why she is not addressed in the scriptures. I'm ok with that.

I have seen other women get rather obsessed about a Heavenly Mother. Going in length about their feelings about her. Often I wonder where are they getting this supposed doctrine from? They seem more involved with her than with Heavenly Father. To the point I totally wish to excuse myself from their discussions, for it troubles my soul. Now in this chapter I think I see a connection to those feelings. There is a reason why we don't create our own impressions about a Heavenly Mother. Just like in Jeremiah's time it was the women that started this fascination and worship of a mother in heaven. In speaking about the apostasy this was a downfall to the early church too.

"The Archontics, who believed in seven heavens, each one presided over by a prince; they also believed in the Supreme Mother in Heaven, a faith condemned in Jeremiah, chapters seven and forty-four."
(Mark E. Petersen, Apr 1979 General Conference, "Signs of the True Church)

It is interesting to see that in Jeremiah's time those that worshiped the "queen of heaven" thought she brought them blessings, and when they stopped evil came upon them. Not understand how they had this twisted. It was because of their worship of her that it angered God and this is why they now suffered. I think Jeremiah is very much so warning us in our day, of not taking up this same practice. It is God the Father that we love with all our hearts, mind and soul. The temptation to create another god is very real. Even if it is to make it in the image of a mother in Heaven.



Day 1364

No comments:

Post a Comment