Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 35:2, 6, 18-19

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 35:2, 6, 18-19
"Go unto the house of the Rechabites, and speak unto them, and bring them into the house of the Lord, into one of the chambers, and give them wine to drink.
But they said, We will drink no wine: for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your sons for ever.
And Jeremiah said unto the house of the Rechabites, Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Because ye have obeyed the commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and done according unto all that he hath commanded you:
Therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Jonadab the son of Rechab shall not want a man to stand before me for ever."

Jeremiah was told of the Lord to bring the Rechabites into the temple and offer them wine. The Rechabites refused because they were obedient to what their father had commanded them. In this the Lord blessed them.

So the question I pondered on was, "Why did a prophet of God tell them to do something that was counter to what they should do?" First off, it wasn't Jeremiah saying this, it was the Lord telling Jeremiah to do this. That to me makes it appear to be a test. It is through the test that they are blessed. That is in keeping with how I have seen my trials become blessings in the end. God's way are not my ways, and you wouldn't naturally think "I want to bless this person for their obedience so let me try them." But, that is how God often works.

To apply it to my day I think it's also telling me be obedient to the commandments given. When I am told something counter to that, even by a prophet, I need confirmation by the spirit if that is what I am to do. It could very easily be a test of my obedience. I am not to follow with blind obedience. I am given my agency to choose, and with it the right to receive personal revelation as confirmation. This will only make the commitment in following the word of the Lord with my whole heart and soul stronger. 

"President Brigham Young put it bluntly: "I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by Him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation, and weaken that influence they could give to their leaders, did they know for themselves, by the revelations of Jesus, that they are led in the right way." Those who are grounded, rooted, and established will not withhold their supportive influence from Church leaders. Neither will the faithful be deceived, as President Brigham Young promised: "I will say to my brethren and sisters, Were your faith concentrated upon the proper object, your confidence unshaken, your lives pure and holy, every one fulfilling the duties of his or her calling according to the Priesthood and capacity bestowed upon you, you would be filled with the Holy Ghost, and it would be as impossible for any man to deceive and lead you to destruction as for a feather to remain unconsumed in the midst of intense heat."
(Neal A. Maxwell, We Will Prove Them Herewith, pp. 21–22)



Day 1355

No comments:

Post a Comment