Thursday, December 6, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 29:8

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 29:8
"For thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Let not your prophets and your diviners, that be in the midst of you, deceive you, neither hearken to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed."

I had to ponder on the idea of someone causing a false dream to come to them. How does that happen? What came to mind is someone listening to a false prophet and then dwelling upon the idea that you dream about it. I know I've had dreams surely inspired by a movie or book that I read.

So then my question is "How do I know if the dream is false or not?"  First, I thought that I should pray to receive the interpretation of it. If it is of God I should be given the meaning. I have prayed for the interpretation of dreams and received it. I always find it interesting that much of what I dreamed about was symbolic. I wouldn't have understood it by looking at it on the surface.

But, it troubled me to just leave it at that. What was Jeremiah trying to warn me of? Then I saw it, these were dreams that had meaning for all of Israel. Jeremiah was the prophet and God would be speaking to him, not the others. The realm of stewardship belonged to the prophet Jeremiah in this matter. I will never have a dream that has meaning for others outside of my stewardship. The ordained prophet of God is the only one authorized to receive revelation for the whole of the church. 
"And this shall be a law unto you, that ye receive not the teachings of any that shall come before you as revelations or commandments;
And this I give unto you that you may not be deceived, that you may know they are not of me.
For verily I say unto you, that he that is ordained of me shall come in at the gate and be ordained as I have told you before, to teach those revelations which you have received and shall receive through him whom I have appointed."
(Doctrine and Covenants 43:5-7)

The dreams and revelations of the prophet of God are the only ones I should be paying attention to. Maybe that's why I have lost all curiosity in reading what other people have been dreaming. Before I started reading scriptures every day, I was really fascinated by them.



Day 1349

No comments:

Post a Comment