Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 34:16

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 34:16
"But ye turned and polluted my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom ye had set at liberty at their pleasure, to return, and brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for handmaids."

I've been sitting here trying to decide what this action is like in my day. What appears to have happened is the people decide to follow a covenant of the Lord. That after serving six years they give liberty to their servant or handmaid sold to them. Did they do this because they thought that would put them in God's good graces? But it didn't last, they turned around and brought the same people into subjection. So basically they follow the commandment of the Lord in appearances and then their hearts betray them. I suppose that could be anything we do to give an outward appearance of obedience, when it's far from our hearts. Like giving an appearance of helping the poor and needy and then using them for the publicity. I actually had that thought today on something else.

"Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:"
(Isaiah 29:13)

"Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of me. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."
(Matthew 6:2)



Day 1354

No comments:

Post a Comment