Saturday, November 7, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 46:9

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 46:9

"For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts.

This verse stood out to me because we read this tonight during family scripture reading.

"Be wise in the days of your probation; strip yourselves of all uncleanness; ask not, that ye may consume it on your lusts, but ask with a firmness unshaken, that ye will yield to no temptation, but that ye will serve the true and living God."
(Mormon 9:28)

What a contrast to how we should be asking.

"He that asketh in the Spirit asketh according to the will of God; wherefore it is done even as he asketh."
(Doctrine and Covenants 46:30)

To "consume it on your lusts" would mean your will and not looking to use it to God's will. Consuming it on your lusts can also show a lack of faith, because the desire is to see a sign in order to believe. Instead of saying "Which of these gifts do I want? It's better to say in faith, "When I need one of these gifts it will be there."
Day 2049

No comments:

Post a Comment