Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 63:58

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 63:58

"For this is a day of warning, and not a day of many words. For I, the Lord, am not to be mocked in the last days."

This verse stood out to me because in our family scripture reading tonight this one stood out to me.

"And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;"
(Ether 12:26)

I am reminded of an experience I had in the early days of COVID-19. This is what I recorded in my journal.

"Last night I had such an unusual experience. I was reading all these memes about the virus and saving them and passing them on to my siblings. I was laughing the whole time. Everything was hitting me so funny. I had not felt so much laughter over this whole thing. Then in an instant I had this great soberness come over me and the spirit warned me not to laugh at this. That what I was doing was "loud laughter", and those that laugh will mourn. What an absolute wake-up call. 

I then read my scriptures and there it talked about destruction before the second coming. My frame of mind on this virus and its meaning completely changed. The Lord's hand is in all this and obedience is important. I have a feeling of much sorrow for those that are effected by this. When we did our family scripture reading I told them my experience and the other impressions that I had. We laid some ground rules for ourselves."

This situation is not funny. There are people dying, there are health professionals that are risking their lives for us. I know people will relieve stress with humor but it can become far to easy to forget oneself. If you are stressed the best relief is to turn to the Lord, he will bring comfort and peace. We must always remember Him."

As I pondered on these verses and the experience I had so many months ago, I realize that some people are mocking even if they are not laughing. You are guilty of mocking when you dismiss the Lord's voice of warning as being absolutely nothing to be concerned about.
Day 2066

No comments:

Post a Comment