Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 17:8

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 17:8
"Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,"

This made me smile. I had heard the idiom that Shakespeare used the "apple of my eye" and wondered if that saying came from this?

"The phrase comes from a Hebrew expression that literally means ‘little man of the eye.’ It refers to the tiny reflection of yourself that you can see in other people’s pupils. To be the apple of someone’s eye clearly means that you are being focused on and watched closely by that person. Your very image is central in the eyes of that person!
This biblical meaning of ‘the apple of your eye’ comes to us quite independently of Shakespeare’s use of the term. They are two completely different usages of the phrase. The phrase can be found in several Old Testament books of the King James Bible:"
(NoSweatShakespeare.com, "Apple of My Eye', Meaning and Context")

The "apple of my eye" is someone that you cherish above all others. Are extremely fond of, favorite or love. When you love someone you want to protect them. That is why David wants to be the apple of the eye of the Lord and hidden under the shadow of His wing.



Day 2654

No comments:

Post a Comment