Sunday, July 3, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 15:1, 5

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 15:1, 5
"LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved."

When is usury a good thing or a bad thing to the Lord? I thought of the parable of the pounds or talents and how the servant that hid it in the earth or laid it up in a napkin, so it didn't even gain usury, was a wicked servant.

"And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:
Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?"
(Luke 19:15, 22-23)

As I pondered over this I saw that they were suppose to gain by trading.

"And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading."
(Luke 19:15)

As I read the other scriptures in the Topical Guide on Usury the issue appears to be when they took unfair advantage of another by charging them usury. The problem doesn't appear to have been when you trade and grain interest from the transaction. Even just leaving the money in the bank to gain interest is acceptable. It's when you're greedy and use unfair practices to acquire gain from the poor or charge family interest. Profiting over the hardship of another is what appears to be the issue.



Day 2652

No comments:

Post a Comment