Thursday, July 9, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 7:3, 6, 9

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 7:3, 6, 9
"And they did reject all his words, insomuch that he could not stay among them, but returned again unto the land of his nativity.
Now this great iniquity had come upon the Nephites, in the space of not many years; and when Nephi saw it, his heart was swollen with sorrow within his breast; and he did exclaim in the agony of his soul.
But behold, I am consigned that these are my days, and that my soul shall be filled with sorrow because of this the wickedness of my brethren."

I love Nephi, son of Helaman, and I am looking for qualities or characteristics that made him the man of God that he was. When it mentions that "great iniquity had come upon the Nephites, in the space of not many years", I wondered how long was that? The footnote tells me it was only six years. A lot happened in just six years. Seeing the wickedness of the people caused his heart to be swollen with sorrow within his breast. He tried to preach the gospel to them, because he knew that was all that could save them from themselves right now. He is rejected and returns home. There he goes upon the tower in his garden and prays for them, but doesn't realize the people have gathered and heard him. As I ponder on this great sorrow he had I can only imagine how heart felt and powerful a prayer that must have been for people to overhear. Especially when you are consigning yourself that you are powerless to do more for them, so you mourn for them. Would they not have known his love and concern for his brethren. That must have been an incredible mighty, yet truly heartfelt and humble prayer he offered to God. 

The quality I take from this is he must have possessed a lot of charity and compassion for others to mourn for them. He actually never gave up on them, he continued to pray for them. I know there are some people that I need to include in my prayers. This reminds me of a story of a bedridden women that was incapable of doing anything and felt worthless. Until she realized what she could do is pray for others, and it filled her life with the joy of service. There is always something we can do, and that is to pray. 


Day 1928

No comments:

Post a Comment