Friday, July 3, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 1:18, 31

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 1:18, 31
"And it came to pass that because of so much contention and so much difficulty in the government, that they had not kept sufficient guards in the land of Zarahemla; for they had supposed that the Lamanites durst not come into the heart of their lands to attack that great city Zarahemla.
And now, behold, the Lamanites could not retreat either way, neither on the north, nor on the south, nor on the east, nor on the west, for they were surrounded on every hand by the Nephites"

This is a very interesting chapter. Pahoran the chief judge dies. Three of his sons contend for the judgment-seat. One son is elected by the voice of the people and another son united with their voice. But, the third son and his followers got mad and tried to overthrow the government. He was tried and condemned to death. Which then his followers go totally out of control and by the use of secret combinations kill the brother that is on the judgment seat. Seriously, I wonder on their rational because the rebellious brother is already condemned to death. Another example of people not thinking past the end of their noses.

The remaining brother is now appointed chief judge by the voice of the people. You would think things would settle down but instead their enemy the Lamanites find it the perfect time to attack them. This time they go for the heart of the land which is Zarahelma. Once there they kill the last brother. At first I am puzzled at how the Lamanites got to the center of the Nephite land when there were guards protecting their borders. I finally found out how, "their march was with such exceedingly great speed that there was no time for the Nephites to gather together their armies." (Helaman 1:19) Then they "cut down the watch by the entrance of the city" (verse 20), They then "did march forth, giving them no time to assemble themselves together save it were in small bodies" (verse 24).  

It doesn't take long for the army that is guarding the borders to head off the Lamanites from taking any more land. The Lamanites are finally defeated, but the cost was great. So now I try to apply this to my day, not so hard to do in a presidential election year with a pandemic, protests and lots of chaos going around. This is a perfect time for an enemy to attack us. But, instead what comes to mind is a quote from President Russell M. Nelson given a little over two years ago.

"In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost."
(President Russell M. Nelson, "Revelation for the Church, Revelation for Our Lives", April 2018 General Conference)

I think about the distractions that are all around me right now and if I am not careful the enemy (Satan) can attack me from within. To cut off the watch would mean I have reached a point that the spirit is no longer my guide. If I become to distracted by the contention and cares of the world all around me, I could think I am the one looking past the end of my nose, but in reality I have let my guard down and don't see what is on the north, south, east and west surrounding me. I have lost the warning voice of spiritual danger approaching. So in times like this I need to be a wise and not a foolish virgin with plenty of oil in my lamp, and never let it go out. 

Until the forces could gather together the people were left on their own. It was only in small bodies that any fight could be made against this adversary. The parallel of us gathering in our homes in small bodies is not lost on me. For this has been my refuge from the storm. Studying the scriptures in our home has been such a source of peace, comfort and blessing, and kept the oil filled in my lamp. As President Nelson warned us, to survive the coming days the spiritual preparation had to be made in advance. If a course correction is needed now is the time to make it, I am sure there a bigger battles still ahead. 


Day 1922





No comments:

Post a Comment