Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 4:4, 18

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 4:4, 18
"Therefore, there was no chance for the robbers to plunder and to obtain food, save it were to come up in open battle against the Nephites; and the Nephites being in one body, and having so great a number, and having reserved for themselves provisions, and horses and cattle, and flocks of every kind, that they might subsist for the space of seven years, in the which time they did hope to destroy the robbers from off the face of the land; and thus the eighteenth year did pass away.
But behold, this was an advantage to the Nephites; for it was impossible for the robbers to lay siege sufficiently long to have any effect upon the Nephites, because of their much provision which they had laid up in store,"

This made me think about the importance of food storage. How quickly the Nephites had to gather together to defend themselves against the Gadianton robbers. In order to have seven years of provisions they would have needed to have stores put aside in advance. It made me think of their food preservation options compared to our canned goods, pressure canning, dehydrating and vacuum sealing options which they wouldn't have had access to. What skills we must have lost compared to them.

I noticed they had provisions for seven years, but in reality they were only under siege for half that time. What a peace of mind this must have given them to know they could outlast their enemies. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has for many decades told us to be prepared and set food aside. During this pandemic I am grateful that I followed this council, but I know I could have never lasted seven years. I am grateful that the church has often suggested a three month storage and that is do-able. I have noticed an amazing thing during the shortages, as my supplies dwindled it wasn't until I was down to my last item before I could finally find it in stock again. I know the Lord has watched out for us as we have been faithful to the council given, and done the best we could do. It has brought much peace in a difficult time.

I belong to several Facebook groups that focus on preserving food and having a food storage. What a joy it is to see the renewed interest in preparedness, and seeing the wisdom in setting some stores aside. The resources the church has put out are spoken highly of by many not of our faith. It just really feels good to see that these efforts are blessing others in becoming more self-reliant.


Day 1941

No comments:

Post a Comment