Friday, July 31, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 13:24

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 13:24
"No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

I've had some new thoughts on this verse lately. I had always thought of Mammon as another name for Satan. As I have been observing things of late, I realized that people can serve themselves, and place any number of things above God, so their thoughts are not in the right place. Eventually, this road turns you from God. I finally looked up what Mammon means and this is what I found.

Bible Dictionary: Mammon, An Aramaic word meaning "riches"

Wikipedia: Mammon in the New Testament of the Bible is commonly thought to mean money, material wealth, or any entity that promises wealth, and is associated with the greedy pursuit of gain.

Britannica: Mammon, biblical term for riches, often used to describe the debasing influence of material wealth. The term was used by Jesus in his famous Sermon on the Mount and also appears in The Gospel According to Luke. Medieval writers commonly interpreted it as an evil demon or god.

So all this time I had the wrong definition of what Mammon was. Yet, I find it interesting that the spirit taught me what it really meant.


Day 1950

No comments:

Post a Comment