Monday, July 6, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 4:23-24

Today's Favorite Verse: Helaman 4:23-24
"And because of their iniquity the church had begun to dwindle; and they began to disbelieve in the spirit of prophecy and in the spirit of revelation; and the judgments of God did stare them in the face.
And they saw that they had become weak, like unto their brethren, the Lamanites, and that the Spirit of the Lord did no more preserve them; yea, it had withdrawn from them because the Spirit of the Lord doth not dwell in unholy temples."

So much in this chapter to ponder on. One thought I had earlier was if it wasn't for the dissenters from the Nephites the Lamanites would have long ago forgotten their hatred of them. The traditions of their fathers was used by the dissenters to stir up the Lamanites against the Nephites. The Nephites at that time had nothing to do with the decisions made hundred of years prior. Neither had any living Lamanite suffered loss because of it. For hundred of years they had separate lands, kings and governments. History was being distorted. I think we see that tactic being used today.  

In the verses I chose I was suddenly struck with the thought that our temples have been closed. They are only available on a limited bases for temple sealings for endowments couples. I thought of some recent stories in the news and how a few that were morally and spiritually unclean used them. So much has been exposed since the temple closings. In the context of these happenings several conference talks now make a lot more sense on the warnings given. I had often thought it would be nice to have all the temple rededicated when they officially reopen. Maybe instead the waiting period is for us to rededicate ourselves. Then I realized, I don't have to wait for anything official. I can rededicate myself and make sure I am clean when I go again. 
 
Then I thought of President Nelson and his emphases on having the spirit and receiving personal revelation. We have recently been told this multiple times by the prophet and apostles. Maybe this emphases wasn't just because we needed it, but because some saints were loosing it. I hadn't thought about that, because I only know what's happening to me. Are we not now staring a lot of things in the face! There is much to ponder on in this chapter. Lots of warnings for the saints from prophets past and present. 


Day 1925

No comments:

Post a Comment