Sunday, January 26, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Book of Mormon Title Page & Witnesses

Today's Favorite Verse: Book of Mormon Title Page & Witnesses
The Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith "The first thing that I can recollect was a voice speaking unto me, calling me by name. I looked up, and beheld the same messenger standing over my head, surrounded by light as before. He then again related unto me all that he had related to me the previous night, and commanded me to go to my father and tell him of the vision and commandments which I had received.
I obeyed; I returned to my father in the field, and rehearsed the whole matter to him. He replied to me that it was of God, and told me to go and do as commanded by the messenger."

Joseph Smith is relating in his own words "the coming forth of the Book of Mormon".  After spending the whole of the previous night by the previous visitation of the angel Moroni, a glorified, resurrected being, and last of the Nephite prophets, this is the fourth visit Moroni made. Joseph after attempt to work the next morning found his strength was exhausted. His father sent him home. While attempting to cross the fence out of the field his strength entirely failed him and he fell to the ground. This is when Moroni appeared for the fourth time, repeating the same message and told him to tell his father.

What I love about Joseph's discussion with his father is when he confirms "It was of God." This is the same thing I have to decide when I am told anything new. I must have the spirit witness to me the truthfulness and holiness of things. Is it of God? is a question that must be answered in order to not be lead astray. I love how the Book of Mormon ends with this same challenge to know if it is of God.

"And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
(Moroni 10:4-5)

Everyone that lives on this earth was blessed with the light of Christ within them. It will help them know right from wrong, truth from error. Through this the Holy Ghost will testify of the truthfulness of all things. I have asked if the Book of Mormon is of God, and I have received a resounding Yes! I know this is another testament of Jesus Christ, that clarifies his role, doctrine, the plan of salvation and how I can gain eternal life with him. I love this book. Every time I read the Book of Mormon the Spirit teaches me some gospel truth with new eyes. What I learn will make me spiritually stronger and of better service to the Lord. It's how I come to know Him. Let the journey begin.


Day 1763

No comments:

Post a Comment