Thursday, January 30, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 4:6, 10

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 4:6, 10
"And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.
And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him."

These verses have helped me to understand that the Lord usually doesn't give me the complete picture of why or how I must do something. There is trial and error as I learn to follow his will, but the whole experience is for my good. Nephi and his brother first tried to reason with Laban to give them the brass plates, then they tried to tempt him with their gold and silver to buy them from him. All it got them was their goods stolen and their lives in danger. Nephi then comes to learn he must let the Spirit guide him, even if he doesn't know what he has to do.

I have often wondered how would it have been for Nephi to know in advance you're going to creep through the city at night. Find Laban passed out drunk in the street. Then take his sword and smote off his head to kill him. After that put on all his clothes and go to his home. Command his servant Zoram in the voice of Laban to go into the treasury with you and get the brass plates. Then make an oath with Zoram to come with you and your brothers into the wilderness and return to your father. It was far better that Nephi act being led by the Spirit. Then as he is having to go through these difficult things the Lord could instruct him and bring to remembrance the importance of obtaining the the brass plates which contained the scriptures. "It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief."


Day 1767

No comments:

Post a Comment