Friday, March 24, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 35:2, 6

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 35:2, 6
"Command the children of Israel, that they give unto the Levites of the inheritance of their possession cities to dwell in; and ye shall give also unto the Levites suburbs for the cities round about them.
And among the cities which ye shall give unto the Levites there shall be six cities for refuge, which ye shall appoint for the manslayer, that he may flee thither: and to them ye shall add forty and two cities."

I read the word suburbs and had no idea that was a word found in the bible. I looked and found it used in Genesis, the first book of the Old Testament. In fact it's used 69 times in the Old Testament. I just never took note until now. Funny how something old can look new again. It made me think of how God has a divine plan for his cities and how they are laid out. It's exactly what happened with Joseph Smith receiving revelation on how Nauvoo was to be laid out. Then Brigham Young used that same gride system in Salt Lake which was carried forward throughout the West. It really is a marvelous system.

Then when I read about the cities for refuge, a place the manslayer could flee to, it made me think about the discussions on sanctuary cities today. Sounds like even God had that setup for Israel. I had not pondered much on the matter of sanctuary cities, but now that my eyes have taken note of this parallel in the bible, I will. I can tell it's one of those things that needs to marinate in my brain, and understanding will come on it later on.


Day 727

No comments:

Post a Comment