Saturday, March 4, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 15:32-33, 35-36

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 15:32-33, 35-36
"And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses."

This reminded me of Leviticus 24 where the son that blasphemed was also stoned to death. Why would someone be stoned for breaking the sabbath day?  I went back and found the punishment for this crime was given even in Exodus. I pondered on how blasphemy was the charge they used against Christ to kill him. I remembered that breaking the sabbath day was a crime the scribes and Pharisees wanted to charge Jesus with also.

"And the scribes and Pharisees watched him, whether he would heal on the sabbath day; that they might find an accusation against him." (Luke 6:7)

I hadn't realized until now why they were so intent on wanting to charge Jesus with breaking the sabbath day. I am grateful I didn't live during those times. I cannot even imagine being told to stone someone for picking up sticks on the sabbath. I'm sure having done that it would left an lasting impression in your mind never to follow in the path of the sinner. I would hope I can learn that lesson just as well having read about this. I keep thinking about how many people today you would find in the stores on the sabbath day. How many people would need to be stoned to death if we still lived the law of Moses. That just makes me ill. If God is the same yesterday, today and forever he must be displeased with our society today. I wondered if in some way stones are still being cast on those that break the sabbath day. Unseen stones that wounds the soul and lets it die. Pondering on this is making me see the seriousness of breaking the sabbath. I need to think about what sticks I might be picking up that maybe sending the wrong message to God. I love the Lord I do not wish to offend, but only show my love and honor to him. What message am I sending to Him?


Day 707

No comments:

Post a Comment