Friday, March 10, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 21:8-9

Today's Favorite Verse: Numbers 21:8-9
"And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived."

The children of Israel are journeying and they become "much discouraged because of the way". Then they speak against God and Moses, saying there is no bread or water, and their souls loath the light bread, which is probably still manna.

The Lord is displeased and sent fiery [poisonous] serpents that bite the people, and many died. This is where the Lord instructs Moses to make a fiery brass serpent and lift it up on a pole. Anyone that was bitten by the serpents could look to the serpent of brass and live.

In the Book of Mormon I read more of this story.
"And he did straiten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they hardened their hearts, even as ye have; and the Lord straitened them because of their iniquity. He sent fiery flying serpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the simpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished." (1 Nephi 17:41)

So I pondered on what is story this telling me.  When I am much discouraged over any task that is over me, the very best thing to do is look to the serpent, that represents Christ and live. I reflected on the marvelous mystery of God I have learned. That if I simply ask Christ to carry my burdens, he will. I remembered the day I was so worn down with troubles that I simply took a walk around my block. The thought came to me "cast your burdens upon the Lord, and he will carry them."

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

I had never cast my burdens on the Lord. I didn't know how one did that. I decided I could ask him to take all the pain, sorrow, and grief that was weighing me down. If that was lifted then I could do the hard things required of me. I wasn't asking him to remove what was hard, just to make me strong enough to do what was required. If the emotional parts were gone then I could face what was ahead of me. So with that I said a prayer in my heart as I walked. I remember being at the corner of the street when I asked. I then turned to walked in the other direction. I did not even get pass the house on that corner when all the emotional burdens on me were lifted. It worked! I will never forget the joy that filled my heart to know that concept was true. Christ will carry my burdens if I simply ask. It was so simple, yet I can understand how something so simple takes incredible faith to do.

My Savior and I have entered into a partnership since then. I have found that when I have Him take the emotional parts that make things hard to bare, it allows me to have the spirit with me. I am then open up to ideas and impressions on how to solve my problems.

"Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established." (Proverbs 16:3)

As I see the plague of depression hitting so many around me, I often wonder if it's God's tool to have his people turn to him and live.


Day 713

No comments:

Post a Comment