Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 17:8-10

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 17:8-10
"And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters.
And I said: Lord, whither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?
And it came to pass that the Lord told me whither I should go to find ore, that I might make tools."

I contrasted this with another person in scripture, told to build barges to travel across the ocean. This was the brother of Jared.

"And he cried again unto the Lord saying: O Lord, behold I have done even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my people, and behold there is no light in them. Behold, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?
And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have windows, for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire."
(Ether 2:22-23)

Why was one told where to find ore to make tools, and the other told to present to the Lord how they would solve the problem of light in their vessels? Was it the manner in which the question was presented to the Lord? Nephi knew the Lord would instruct him and asked. The brother of Jared appears to ask somewhat in fear, maybe doubt. If the brother of Jared was to ask like Nephi he would have said something like "Lord, what would you have me do to light the vessel? As I pondered on both I realize that the Lord's way are not our ways. Both could have still had the same outcome. The brother of Jared's answer lead him to an amazing experience of the Lord revealing himself to him. I think both were inspired to ask the question the way they should.


Day 3366

No comments:

Post a Comment