Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 11:1, 17

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 11:1, 17
"For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.
And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things."

I noticed some key things about Nephi and his ability to see the vision his father had. First, was his desire, and his belief that God could make it known to him. Then he pondered in his heart what he had heard. This pondering in his heart was key to being receptive to the Spirit and to be taught. Nephi was humble and teachable. He did not know the meaning of all things, and that was OK. As he sat pondering he was ready to be taught by the Spirit.

This made me think of another prophet, Joseph F. Smith and how he received a remarkable vision of the redemption of the dead after pondering the scriptures.
"On the third of October, in the year nineteen hundred and eighteen, I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures;"
(Doctrine and Covenants 138:1)

What does it mean to ponder?
"To meditate and think deeply, often upon the scriptures or other things of God. When combined with prayer, pondering the things of God may bring revelation and understanding."
(Guide to the scriptures, Ponder)


Day 3360

No comments:

Post a Comment