Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 8:2-3

 Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 8:2-3

"Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
Now behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground."

I sat and pondered on personal revelation. In this chapter the Lord is beginning to explain how revelation works to "receive a knowledge of whatsoever things you shall ask in faith, with an honest heart, believing that you shall receive a knowledge concerning....by the manifestation of my Spirit." It truly is a learning process to understand how the Spirit speaks to me. It's like a baby trying to walk and making all the parts move together at the same time. You can totally expect to fall a few times, if not many.

So, I asked myself how do I identify the Holy Ghost is speaking to me? The best way for me to describe it is to share a story.

I had a desire to get out of debt. As I studied our finances and prayed it was clear it was time to get rid of our storage unit. I gave my husband an ultimatum, get our storage unit cleared out by a certain date. If it wasn't cleared out then I would stop payment on the unit anyways and they could have whatever was left in there. He had several months. He made the deadline with time to spare.

No sooner was the storage unit cleared then while sitting in my computer room an impression came to me. I heard my own voice in my mind. It said "You have to decide today if you are going to buy a Tuff Shed." That was a totally random thought. I didn't need a Tuff Shed, I just got rid of our storage unit. Again the thought came and I couldn't think of why I needed one. When the impression came again it said "Not only that, it needs windows, heat and air conditioning". I knew then that the Spirit was speaking to me and telling me something I needed to do. This was not my own idea.

So I asked what I needed to use this shed for? The impression that it was an art studio came to me. My husband is an artist it must be for him. I now knew in my mind and heart that I had to go look at Tuff Sheds today. I told my husband and he happily went with me to Home Depot to look at the Tuff Sheds on display. I found that it was perfect timing to buy one, for two sales were merging. Thankfully, I could cover the cost of the shed from what I saved monthly on the storage unit. When the Tuff Shed was built a neighbor helped us run electricity so it could have heat and air conditioning.

We were still in this stage of wiring the shed when my prodigal daughter that had been estranged from us for several years contact us. We meet, and soon it became evident she needed to move back home. The art studio became her home and since being here her love of art has had time to blossom and is now her full-time career. This is what the Lord had planned all along. For revelation is given to further His work, with faith required by us to act upon it.

When this verse describes that it will "dwell in your heart" that is key to me. For, the mind and heart, can easily be deceived. It is the spirit dwelling there between the two that helps me understand.


Day 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment