Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 1:1

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 1:1
"Hearken, O ye people of my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together."

I had to pick this verse because that is the one President Russell M. Nelson has pointed to. The Doctrine and Covenants begins with Hearken, #HearHim. I felt something so different as I began to read the Doctrine and Covenants this time. I am not sure how to describe it. It's like the spirit was telling me "Read this as the Lord is talking to his servants today. Not when the prophet Joseph Smith was receiving them. This is for your day."

As I read further I see the Lord is pointing me to listen to his servants, the prophets and apostles of my day.

"And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people;
They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the images of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall."
(Doctrine and Covenants 1:14, 16)

I don't want to get cut off from the Lord. I want so badly to hear and listen to the Lord. It really makes me stop and ponder on what could be stopping me from doing that? How have I embraced the image of the world? What am I trying to do that is my way and not the Lord's way? What am I setting up as my idols and worshipping or prioritizing over the Lord? Where is my heart, focus, and passions taking me? Sometimes you just really have to sit and get real with yourself and honestly see what path you are on. I know one thing is for sure if my desire is to follow the example the prophets and apostles have set, than I must be on the right path. "By their fruits ye shall know them." (Matthew 7:20)


Day 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment