Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 7:1-3

 Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 7:1-3

"And the Lord said unto me: John, my beloved, what desireth thou? For if you shall ask what you will, it shall be granted unto you.
And I said unto him: Lord, give unto me power over death, that I may live and bring souls unto thee.
And the Lord said unto me: Verily, verily, I say unto thee, because thou desireth this thou shalt tarry until I come in my glory, and shalt prophesy before nations, kindreds, tongues and people."

The chapter header says "Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet and Oliver Cowdery, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, April 1829, when they inquired through the Urim and Thummim as to whether John, the beloved disciple, tarried in the flesh or had died. The revelation is a translated version of the record made on parchment by John and hidden up by himself."

What I pondered on how wonderful it was to have a living prophet inquire of the Lord the mysteries that generations have wanted to know. Did John the Beloved ever taste of death? The answer is no.

This makes clear the verse in Luke 9:27 "But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God."



Day 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment