Saturday, March 18, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 5:25

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 5:25
"Your iniquities have turned away these things, and your sins have withholden good things from you."

This made me think of a discussion we had tonight during family scripture reading. It evolved into a discussion about people that are less active at church but say they still have their testimonies. I do not doubt they have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Though that testimony is dormant and at risk of being lost. One thing is for sure, they have denied themselves blessings. I wish I had remembered this talk of Elder Bednar while we had our decision, but here it is now.

"Most of the “less-active” people I have ever visited had a discernible and tender testimony of the truthfulness of the restored gospel. However, they were not presently participating in Church activities and meetings.
And then I would say something like this.
“Let me make sure I understand what has happened to you. Because someone at church offended you, you have not been blessed by the ordinance of the sacrament. You have withdrawn yourself from the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. Because someone at church offended you, you have cut yourself off from priesthood ordinances and the holy temple. You have discontinued your opportunity to serve others and to learn and grow. And you are leaving barriers that will impede the spiritual progress of your children, your children’s children, and the generations that will follow.” Many times people would think for a moment and then respond: “I have never thought about it that way.”
(David A. Bednar, "And Nothing Shall Offend Them", Oct 2006 General Conference)



Day 2909

No comments:

Post a Comment