Saturday, March 25, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 12:1

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 12:1
"Righteous art thou, O LORD, when I plead with thee: yet let me talk with thee of thy judgments: Wherefore doth the way of the wicked prosper? wherefore are all they happy that deal very treacherously?"

This made me ponder on why the wicked prosper and don't seem to come to face judgment or justice. I suppose that is a similar question to why do bad things happen to good people? In a "perfect" world the righteous would never suffer, and the wicked always would. Where would the trial of faith be in all that? If a man was punished immediately for his sins, then he would learn not to sin so he would not be punished. It would be a lesson totally avoid of abhorring sin because it was an offense to God. They would be compelled to selfishness in a self preservation and love of themselves, and not out of a love of God.

"But if it be not built upon my gospel, and is built upon the works of men, or upon the works of the devil, verily I say unto you they have joy in their works for a season, and by and by the end cometh, and they are hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence there is no return."
(3 Nephi 27:11)

"At a meeting I attended one Sunday, a young woman asked something like the following: “My boyfriend and I recently broke up, and he chose to leave the Church. He tells me he has never been happier. How can this be?”
The Savior answered this question when He said to the Nephites, “But if [your life is] not built upon my gospel, and is built upon the works of men, or upon the works of the devil, verily I say unto you [you will] have joy in [your] works for a season, and by and by the end cometh.” There simply is no enduring joy outside the gospel of Jesus Christ."
(Robert C. Gay, "Taking Upon Ourselves the Name of Jesus Christ", Oct 2018 General Conference)



Day 2916

No comments:

Post a Comment