Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 15:6

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 15:6
"Thou hast forsaken me, saith the LORD, thou art gone backward: therefore will I stretch out my hand against thee, and destroy thee; I am weary with repenting."

Does God weary of us repenting? How could that be I wondered? I am reading this right? I know President Nelson has told us to repent daily, and that is what I do. Then I read this in the Old Testament manual.

"Plainly, Judah had reached the point at which the Lord would no longer forgive them. Jeremiah represented the Lord as saying, “I am weary with repenting”, that is, with repeatedly relenting and giving Israel another chance. Nothing God did had worked; further delay was useless."
(Old Testament Student Manual Kings-Malachi, "As ye Sow, So Shall Ye Reap", (23-33) Jeremiah 15:1-14. "I Am Weary with Repenting")

This made me think of this little puppy we were watching that was almost housebroken. Every time he went outside we gave him a treat. He got so used to being given a treat that he would pretend he had to go outside just so he could come in and get one. Over several days this fake potty in and out got really old. I finally just put him in his crate so he would leave me alone, and that broke the cycle. It appears getting treats for fake potting and ending up in a crate wasn't worth it. It appears that God gives so many chances and if you demonstrate you will not learn, abuse privileges, then we get a different lesson.

"Repentance is a thing that cannot be trifled with every day. Daily transgression and daily repentance is not that which is pleasing in the sight of God."

"Overcoming the world is not an event that happens in a day or two. It happens over a lifetime as we repeatedly embrace the doctrine of Christ. We cultivate faith in Jesus Christ by repenting daily and keeping covenants that endow us with power. We stay on the covenant path and are blessed with spiritual strength, personal revelation, increasing faith, and the ministering of angels. Living the doctrine of Christ can produce the most powerful virtuous cycle, creating spiritual momentum in our lives."
(Russell M. Nelson, "Overcome the World and Find Rest", Oct 2022 General Conference)



Day 2919

No comments:

Post a Comment