Thursday, August 11, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 54:2

Today's Favorite Verse: Psalms 54:2
"Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth."

I wanted to learn more of that phrase to hear the "words of my mouth". I've always been a little uncomfortable in it presuming that God needed to listen to me and do as I ask. Then I found this...

"We do not give memorized, ritualistic, or repetitious prayers. We seek the guidance of the Spirit and suit every prayer to the needs of the moment, with no thought of using the same words on successive occasions. But it would be appropriate for us to use words that convey such thoughts as these in our prayers: Father, we ask thee, in the name of Jesus Christ, to hear the words of our mouth to discern with thy all-seeing eye the thoughts and intents of our heart, and to grant us our righteous desires."
(Bruce R. McConkie, "Patterns of Prayer", Apr 1984, General Conference)

That satisfies my question. Saying "hear the words of my mouth", is inviting God to discern my thoughts and intents from what I say. Inviting Him to judge me. I like that.




Day 2691

No comments:

Post a Comment