Saturday, March 20, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 23:4, 16-17

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 23:4, 16-17

"I am a stranger and a sojourner with you: give me a possession of a burying place with you, that I may bury my dead out of my sight.
And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant.
And the field of Ephron, which was in Machpelah, which was before Mare, the field, and the cave which was therein, and all the trees that were in the field, that were in all the borders round about, were made sure."

Sarah died and even though God had promised Abraham the land of Canaan for an everlasting possession, he did not possess it. He was still a stranger there in his lifetime. He had to buy the land to bury his dead, and later he himself was buried.

"And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God."
(Genesis 17:8)

"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."
(Hebrew 11:13)

I pondered on how promised blessings are not only for this life, but for the next. If Abraham could wait for blessings to be fulfilled than so can I.



Day 2182

No comments:

Post a Comment