Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 35:21

 Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 35:21

For they will hear my voice, and shall see me, and shall not be asleep, and shall abide the day of my coming; for they shall be purified, even as I am pure."

The Lord is speaking to the "salvation of mine own elect". What really stood out to me in this verse is they "shall not be asleep". The reference is to Matthew 25:5 "While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept". I pondered on how important it was to not be asleep. What would keep me awake? It would be to keep busy. What would I be busy doing? Making ready for the Lord's coming. This made me think of President Russell M. Nelson's recent General Conference talk when he spoke of "Never stop preparing".

"Even when things went well, Captain Moroni continued to prepare his people. He never stopped. He never became complacent.

The adversary never stops attacking. So, we can never stop preparing! The more self-reliant we are—temporally, emotionally, and spiritually—the more prepared we are to thwart Satan’s relentless assaults."
(Russell M. Nelson, "Embrace the Future with Faith", Oct 2020 General Conference)

Being complacent would be part of being asleep. President Nelson continued...

"Please, keep going! Your vigilance in safeguarding your homes and instilling faith in the hearts of your loved ones will reap rewards for generations to come.

My dear sisters, we have so much to look forward to! The Lord placed you here now because He knew you had the capacity to negotiate the complexities of the latter part of these latter days. He knew you would grasp the grandeur of His work and be eager to help bring it to pass.

I am not saying that the days ahead will be easy, but I promise you that the future will be glorious for those who are prepared and who continue to prepare to be instruments in the Lord’s hands."

This is such a wonderful promise, if I never stop preparing, and don't fall asleep.


Day 2038

No comments:

Post a Comment