Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 8:20

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 8:20
"O how marvelous are the works of the Lord, and how long doth he suffer with his people; yea, and how blind and impenetrable are the understandings of the children of men; for they will not seek wisdom, neither do they desire that she should rule over them!"

I pondered on seeking wisdom and how many resources the church has given us to understand the scriptures. Yet, there are voices out there that sound knowledgeable and compelling about the gospel. New blogs and videos are popping up all the time. They are all putting their own spin on the gospel. I've seen things go south in the past so I am pretty leery about what resources I consume.

Yesterday, I noticed some new graphics being shared and posted on Facebook. Many of them having quotes from general conference talks. Each of these were branded with a site I hadn't heard of. I decided to investigate who they were before I reposted any of their graphics. I didn't want to endorse them blindly. As I looked into this site, which was only a couple of months old, I found a noticeable trend that made me feel very uneasy about them. I'm skipping sharing their graphics.

Then today I was trying to find something to listen to and thought I would try this YouTube channel others were recommending. I had given it a try earlier and experienced a few red flags in the video I was watching, so I shut it off before finishing. I thought I would try to be fair and listen again. Maybe, they have their act together now? Nope, I lasted about 5 min this time before turning it off. In my quest to seek wisdom I don't want imitations. Deception is real out there and there is to much to risk listening to the wrong sources.

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."
(2 Peter 1:20)

I've been deceived in the past out of ignorance. Thankfully my son challenged what I was listening to and asked me to find where that was mentioned in the scriptures. It wasn't, nor was it mentioned anywhere on the church website. I was horrified when I did find were it came from. I now make sure I know the source of where quotes and information comes from and don't just take others word for it. Look for the full transcript and provenance and make sure key things have not been left out. It is amazing how many supposed dreams, visions and quotes have been falsely attributed to the prophets. Some are waiting for signs and events that the Lord never promised. When we are waiting on the wrong things we can be blinded to the truth.

The qualifier the Lord gives is the best question to ask.

"Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question—unto what were ye ordained?"
(Doctrine and Covenants 50:13)



Day 3423


No comments:

Post a Comment