Friday, August 2, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: Jacob 7:8, 23

Today's Favorite Verse: Jacob 7:8, 23
"But behold, the Lord God poured in his Spirit into my soul, insomuch that I did confound him in all his words.
And it came to pass that peace and the love of God was restored again among the people; and they searched the scriptures, and hearkened no more to the words of this wicked man."

Jacob is confronted by Sherem, an anti-Christ. Sherem sought to overthrow the doctrine of Christ, and lead away the hearts of the people. In these two verses I see how Jacob was able to overcome him. First, it was by having the Spirit to be with him. He was given the Spirit in order to confound Sherem in his words. He knew what questions to ask and to detect deception. Once Sherem had been overcome peace and the love of God was restored because the people searched the scriptures. They had been deceived once because they did not understand them like Jacob had said to Sherem.

"And I said unto him: Believest thou the scriptures? And he said, Yea.
And I said unto him: Then ye do not understand them; for they truly testify of Christ. Behold, I say unto you that none of the prophets have written, nor prophesied, save they have spoken concerning this Christ.
(Jacob 7:10-11)

Before Sherem dies he testifies that he had lied that he had believed the scriptures, for they truly do testified of Christ.

"And he said: I fear lest I have committed the unpardonable sin, for I have lied unto God; for I denied the Christ, and said that I believed the scriptures; and they truly testify of him. And because I have thus lied unto God I greatly fear lest my case shall be awful; but I confess unto God."
(Jacob 7:19)

It is no wonder that the people saw the importance of searching the scriptures and understanding them after this event. It's just as important for us today to do the same.



Day 3411


No comments:

Post a Comment