Friday, December 30, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Song of Solomon 1:5-6

Today's Favorite Verse: Song of Solomon 1:5-6
"I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon.
Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother’s children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept."

The song of Solomon is poetry in song. I was struck with the mention of being black and not wanting to be looked down upon. From various sources I found during this time frame people were not being looked down for dark skin for racial reasons, it was for economic reasons. Woman that worked the fields out in the sun were of the peasant class. If you were in the aristocracy you were pale or fair skinned because you were not out in the sun. This skin was prized and a mark of beauty in women. In the chapter it seems her beauty and praise are recognized for her hard work. It made me think of Ruth and Boaz.



Day 2831

No comments:

Post a Comment