Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 7:1

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 7:1
"Then Elisha said, Hear ye the word of the LORD; Thus saith the LORD, To morrow about this time shall a measure of fine flour be sold for a shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel, in the gate of Samaria."

Elisha's prophecy is fulfilled. The Syrians that were camped around them heard the noise of chariots and horses and a great host coming upon them. They fled leaving all of their food and belongings behind. The noise pursued them along the way so they would lighten their load even more and leave things behind. When discovered the people of Samaria bring the items to market and they sell for less than ever thought possible, especially during a time of hunger. This reminded me of Heber C. Kimball's prophecy.

"If your heart is right you cannot speak without speaking what is right. The Spirit of Prophecy foresees future events. God does not bring to pass a thing because you say it shall be so, but because He designed it should be so, and it is the future purposes of the Almighty that the Prophet foresees. That is the way I prophesy; but I have predicted things I did not foresee, and did not believe anybody else did, but I have said it, and it came to pass even more abundantly than I predicted; and that was with regard to the future situation of the people who first came into this valley. Nearly every man was dressed in skins, and we were all poor, destitute, and distressed, yet we all felt well. I said, “It will be but a little while, brethren, before you shall have food and raiment in abundance, and shall buy it cheaper than can be bought in the cities of the United States.”  I did not know there were any Gentiles coming here, I never thought of such a thing; but after I spoke it I thought I must be mistaken this time. Brother Rich remarked at the time, “I do not believe a word of it.” And neither did I; but, to the astonishment and joy of the Saints, it came to pass just as I had spoken it, only more abundantly. The Lord led me right, but I did not know it.
I have heard Joseph say many times, that he was much tempted about the revelations the Lord gave through him—it seemed to be so impossible for them to be fulfilled. I do not profess to be a Prophet; but I know that every man and woman can be, if they live for it. To enjoy this blessing they must walk in the channel of the Priesthood, being subject to the order and government of heaven; then they are all revelation and they cannot predict anything that will not come to pass. All that hinders you from enjoying this blessing is because you are not obedient."
(JD: 3:105, Heber C. Kimball, Education, Resurrection, etc. March 19, 1854.)



Day 2479

No comments:

Post a Comment