Thursday, January 6, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 2:9-11

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 2:9-11
"And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.
And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so
And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven..

Elijah asks Elisha what what he could do for him before he leaves. In reply Elisha asks for a double portion of Elijah's spirit. Why did Elijah say he asked for a hard thing? Because, what he asked was not Elijah's to give. It wasn't Elijah's spirit that made him great. It was the Holy Ghost that was with Elijah. One man cannot will the spirit to another. It comes by the worthiness and desire of another to have the spirit to be with him. Elijah then continued to walk with Elisha and they talked. What were the words that Elijah said to Elisha? Those words would fill Elisha to the point he was able to see the chariot and horses of fire, and witness Elijah being taken up in a whirlwind. For all the words that Elijah spoke to Elisha before hand, if they had fallen upon ears that would not hear, then there would have been no eyes that could see.

"Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear."
(Matthew 13:13-16

"And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view."
(Mosiah 2:9)

"For by my Spirit will I enlighten them, and by my power will I make known unto them the secrets of my will—yea, even those things which eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man."
(Doctrine and Covenants 76:10)

"Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;
For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly."
(Doctrine and Covenants 136:32-33)



Day 2474

No comments:

Post a Comment