Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 21:12-13

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Kings 21:12-13
"Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Behold, I am bringing such evil upon Jerusalem and Judah, that whosoever heareth of it, both his ears shall tingle.
And I will stretch over Jerusalem the line of Samaria, and the plummet of the house of Ahab: and I will wipe Jerusalem as a man wipeth a dish, wiping it, and turning it upside down."

I was fascinated in the meaning of "ears that tingle". I don't think my ears have ever tingled. I know I've heard of itching ears when men will not hear sound doctrine. I had to ponder on what it would mean to have your ears tingle. There are a couple of footnotes.

"And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle."
(1 Samuel 3:11)
This happens when Samuel is told this ears will tingle when what the Lord spoke concerning Eli house happens. Which isn't a good thing.

Then again to Jeremiah it's a voice of warning.
"And say, Hear ye the word of the LORD, O kings of Judah, and inhabitants of Jerusalem; Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, the which whosoever heareth, his ears shall tingle."
(Jeremiah 19:3)

It's also mention in the Doctrine and Covenants.
"Yea, and again, when the lightnings shall streak forth from the east unto the west, and shall utter forth their voices unto all that live, and make the ears of all tingle that hear, saying these words—Repent ye, for the great day of the Lord is come?"
(Doctrine and Covenants 43:22)

As I reflect on ears that tingle I think of the physical sensation that comes with it. Almost like when your spin tingles when something is scary. I think seeing Jerusalem wiped clean and turned upside down like a dish would be scary to see. It's like the Lord is saying not only will you hear with your own ears what was prophesied, but you will feel it too. It isn't just a witness of the Holy Ghost when something is right. It's a witness of when something is very wrong because He wasn't listened to and now you know it. I hope I never do have ears that tingle. I would much rather hear the words of the Lord and believe before hand.



Day 2493

No comments:

Post a Comment