Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 119:4

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 119:4

"And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord."

The year is 1838 and the church has gone from the law of consecration and stewardship of property to tithing. In the heading it says "Because of failure on the part of many to abide by this covenant, the Lord withdrew it for a time and gave instead the law of tithing to the whole Church." Tithing it then appears is a lesser law. As I reflected on this I realized that even though I pay tithing I still must be a wise steward of what the Lord has given me. Stewardship over property has not gone away, its just the accountability is between myself and the Lord. When I reflected on the law of consecration I realized I must live that too. For all that I have is consecrated to the Lord and the building of his kingdom. For now I am only asked to tithe one-tenth of my increase. Even though I live a lesser law, I can still be of the heart of a higher law. This will only prepare me for a future time if called upon to do so differently.


Day 2122

No comments:

Post a Comment