Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 47:34

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 47:34
"And it came to pass that Amalickiah took the same servant that slew the king, and all them who were with him, and went in unto the queen, unto the place where she sat; and they all testified unto her that the king was slain by his own servants; and they said also: They have fled; does not this testify against them? And thus they satisfied the queen concerning the death of the king."

This chapter tells how "Amalickiah uses treachery, murder, and intrigue to become king of the Lamanites". There are a lot of tactics that he uses that I could totally relate to our day, or the possibility of someone using such methods. The word that stuck out to me this time was "testify". How a false story is given and told in such a manner that others believe it as the truth. That has been something I have tried so hard to be watchful of. For I am finding that there is an impatience in our society now in waiting for truth to come out. Instead we are so quick to believe a lie simply because of the person telling it. I ask myself "How does one protect themselves from believing the lie?"

First, I think it must be the ability to gather facts and not come to a conclusion until all the information is presented. That would require patience, and not being easily pressured by others to make a decision. It would also require the ability to accept new facts as they are presented, and draw new conclusions from them. This would require humility in being able to change ones position. 

What do I do in the case of someone using treachery, murder and intrigue? I suppose I would need to ask myself what would be a person's motive in their actions. A big red flag with Amalickiah is how many people died around him which only advanced his position. Something just wasn't right. Questioning people and motives is asking a lot of a person, but the price in not believing a liar is worth it. The bottom line that I can see is I absolutely need the spirit to guide me in these matters. Follow the prompting when things don't feel right. I need patience once again to not come to conclusion to quickly.  

"...for the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls.." 
(Jacob 4:13)

This reminds of last night's family scriptures discussion and how it fit with some recent events in the news. Interestingly, it did come down to treachery, murder and intrigue. How good people were deceived into believing false doctrine simply because they never questioned what others were saying. If they had understood the doctrine they would have never given the adversary power. I remarked on how grateful I was that I followed the counsel the spirit gave me when I began to read the scriptures daily. I was told to read the scriptures and not books about the scriptures. What a protection that counsel has been for me. For considering how ill I was at the time, it would have been so much easier to have someone else explain it to me since I was incapable of reading on my own. I had to follow along in the scriptures while listening to the recordings online. It took years before I could read and comprehend what I was reading on my own. I totally get how hard it is to read the scriptures. But, the price one must pay and the benefit it is in your life is so worth it. 


Day 1905

No comments:

Post a Comment