Thursday, June 11, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 42:1, 29-30

Today's Favorite Verse: Alma 42:1, 29-30
"And now, my son, I perceive there is somewhat more which doth worry your mind, which ye cannot understand - which is concerning the justice of God in the punishment of the sinner; for ye do try to suppose that it is injustice that the sinner should be consigned to a state of misery.
And now, my son, I desire that ye should let these things trouble you no more, and only let your sins trouble you, with that trouble which shall bring you down unto repentance.
O my son, I desire that ye should deny the justice of God no more. Do not endeavor to excuse yourself in the least point because of your sins, by denying the justice of God; but do you let the justice of God, and his mercy, and his long-suffering have full sway in your heart; and let it bring you down to the dust in humility."

I think this chapter is so interesting in exposing a tactic of the sinner. Corianton instead of being concerned for his sins, tries to deflect the issue and say the punishment for sin is not right. The cry becomes the law isn't right, because truly their plan is to continue in their sins without paying a price for it. They put the blame somewhere else in order to not deal with the fact their behavior has put them on punishments course. Alma does a wonderful job in explaining the role of justice and mercy, and the great plan of happiness. As I ponder on what Corianton is doing I can see many applications for this in my day. 


Day 1900

No comments:

Post a Comment