Friday, December 22, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Acts 10:10, 17, 19

Today's Favorite Verse: Acts 10:10, 17, 19
"And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made inquiry for Simon’s house, and stood before the gate,
While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee."

I had missed the part that Peter was hungry when he fell into this trance and saw a vision of unclean animals and was commanded to eat. All the more reason for him to doubt and ponder on this vision afterwards. I can picture him wondering if the dream was simply because he was hungry? Not all dreams mean something. Things around us, experiences we have had can appear in our dreams. President Wilford Woodruff, a visionary man, explains it thus.

"A man eats a hot supper when he goes to bed; he gets the nightmare; he is chased by a bear; or he falls over a precipice, and as soon as he strikes the ground he wakes up. Now, the Lord had nothing to do with that. A man may go to bed half worried to death, tired, and dream about something that will never take place. Last night, for instance, I dreamed I was making glass houses out of blocks of glass two feet square. Now, I don't know that the Lord was in that. Yet I have had dreams of a very different character.
(Wilford Woodruff, "The Discourses of Wilford Woodruff", by G. Homer Durham, page 283)

President Woodruff, continues in the book to share several examples of inspired dreams he has had. Then he says "Hence there are a great many things taught us in dreams that are true, and if a man has the spirit of God he can tell the difference between what is from the Lord and what is not. And I want to say to my brethren and sisters, that whenever you have a dream that you feel is from the Lord, pay attention to it." (pg. 286)

The important thing Peter did was ponder on his vision and ask the meaning. Then the spirit was able to give confirmation and instruction that Peter needed to follow. It is so important to have that confirmation that something is of God, because sometimes it can come from the wrong source. This past week I had a dream where in it I did something I would never do. I just knew it was not of God. Then the next night I had a dream of a similar nature. At that point it was so seared in my brain I had to actively stopping my mind from reviewing it again during the day. That third night of going to bed I asked that I would no longer be troubled by such a dream. That I could have it removed from my thoughts. And, if I was somehow wrong in the purpose of such a dream that the interpretation be made known to me. The wonderful thing was I was troubled no more by that dream and those thoughts were gone in the morning. I have not thought about it again until now, but thankful only in an instructional way confirming the need to test the source of our dreams and pray about it.


Day 3187

No comments:

Post a Comment