Sunday, January 1, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Song of Solomon 3:1

Today's Favorite Verse: Song of Solomon 3:1
"By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not."

I wasn't sure if it was just that I'm feeling incredibly tired today but I couldn't find anything in this chapter that caused me to ponder. Usually I have some impress and then look up what that thought leads to. Not this time. I just wanted to find out more about the "Song of Solomon". When I looked in the JST (Joseph Smith Translation) I was surprised to find this, "Note: the JST manuscript states that "The Songs of Solomon are not inspired writings". Then I looked at the Bible Dictionary and found this.

Song of Solomon
"Sometimes called Canticles (as in Latin) or Song of Songs (as in Hebrew). Whether Solomon is actually the author is doubtful. The composition has many beautiful phrases and lyrical prose, often quoted in nonreligious literature. The JST states that “the Songs of Solomon are not inspired writings.” Both Jews and Christians have at times been reluctant to accept it into the canon of scripture because of its romantic content but have permitted it on the basis of its being an allegory of God’s love for Israel and of the Church."
(Bible Dictionary, Song of Solomon)

I think it sufficient to have learned that today in my study. I'm sure as I read other parts of the Song of Solomon it will give me things to ponder on, but today it was just not there.



Day 2833

No comments:

Post a Comment