Saturday, January 28, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Isaiah 22:13

Today's Favorite Verse: Isaiah 22:13
"And behold joy and gladness, slaying oxen, and killing sheep, eating flesh, and drinking wine: let us eat and drink; for to morrow we shall die."

It made me curious on how many times in the scriptures the phrase "eat, drink and be merry, and tomorrow we die" is found. I could only find three additional references. I thought there were more, besides Shakespeare's use of it. Maybe I thought there was more because that is the mentality we are seeing around us. Truly, if I thought tomorrow I would die, I would make sure I was prepared to meet my maker.

"If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die."
(1 Corinthians 15:32)

"Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun."
(Ecclesiastes 8:15) (*earlier verses show this is vanity)

"And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?'
(Luke 12:19-20)

"Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.
And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God."
(2 Nephi 28:7-8




Day 2860

No comments:

Post a Comment