Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 4:9-10

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 4:9-10
"And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested."

In the middle of all the genealogies is this comment about Jabez. I searched the bible and couldn't find any other mention of him. I thought about what these two verses meant. First, it appears that his mother had a difficult birth with him. He grew to be an honorable man and prayed to God. His recognizes God's hand in all the blessings of his life. As I read the "enlarge my coast", I wonder if the word is translated correctly? It wouldn't fit to want more land or anything material with what he is concerned about. I wonder if coast should be heart? Maybe asking to enlarge the borders of his heart? Whatever the exact meaning it is clear that his manner of approach is pleasing to God. That is why his request was granted.


Day 2501

No comments:

Post a Comment